Saturday 4 January 2014

New Year New Focus

 
I am sat here travelling to what I expect will be a very wet Bideford, we have certainly encountered enough rain travelling down. The journey is made more comfortable courtesy of Barnes Coaches supplying us with the Swindon Town coach.

Now we have entered a new year it is, like many, a time to reflect on the last years mixture of achievements and failings. Time to re-assess our journeys on our way to meet our targets, time to re-focus our thoughts and knuckle down & work hard to meet out goals.

I have decided to blog as I want others to stretch and challenge my thoughts & the manner in which I approach tasks. I hope through my blogs people will be able to grasp the manner in which I work.

I believe that we live in a culture, especially when asked to give peer to peer feedback, that we don't like to offer or listen to negative feedback. We try glossing it up with re-naming this as 'areas for improvement' and other terms in order to make this process positive. Our natural instinct when being attacked is to stick up for ourselves. When anything negative verbally or through gestures is aimed towards us our instinct is to defend ourselves. This I have been guilty of as well.
What I want is to be challenged and to reflect on how someone's feedback can improve my approach and thought process.

I have changed my thought process of rather than be overly competitive and wish to be the best I want to work with, and at, the best level. I still want to strive for excellence and avoid stagnation in my personal development. I have opened up my mind to others opinion, and the best athletes, managers, coaches, practitioners of all different walks of life can take on board feedback and others opinion and reflect more in depth.

Maybe as a culture we don't need to become better at receiving negative feedback or 'areas for development' but try and be better reflectors.

No comments:

Post a Comment